Today’s Best Recipe is Lasagna Soup.
This soup is one of my favorites to eat and make.
You get all the flavors of your favorite hearty lasagna in a comforting soup form!
This soup is filled with beef, tomatoes, and Italian herbs.
I love that it is hardy enough for winter and easy enough for summer.
Plus it makes the house smell amazing!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 (32-ounce) box chicken broth
- 2 (14.5-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups broken lasagna noodles
- 1 (5-ounce) package grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Garlic Crostini, recipe follows
- 1 thin French baguette
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves peeled and smashed garlic
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
How to Make Lasagna Soup:
- In a large Dutch oven, combine ground chuck, onion, bell pepper, and garlic.
- Cook over medium-high heat for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until beef is browned and crumbles.
- Drain well.
- Stir in thyme, brown sugar, broth, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, and salt.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add noodles, and simmer until noodles are tender. Stir in Parmesan cheese.
- Preheat broiler.
- Spoon soup into 8 to 10 ovenproof bowls. Evenly sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Broil soups, 6-inches from heat, 3 to 4 minutes, until cheese is browned and bubbling.
- Add a garlic crostini slice on top. Serve immediately.
For the garlic crostini:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut bread into 1/4-inch round slices.
- Place on a baking sheet and brush each slice with olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper; place in oven and bake until golden and crisp, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Rub each side with smashed garlic cloves.