Today’s Best Recipe is homemade pudding.
It starts with a vanilla pudding, and then we share how to make it banana pudding or a decadent chocolate pudding.
It is an old-fashioned pudding recipe made from scratch with almost as much ease as the packaged boxes.
It yields a rich and creamy taste and texture that will have you declaring it is spoonfuls of heaven!
You can serve it at room temperature or cold–my kids will tell you it’s best eaten warm.
This recipe is originally my friend Robin’s Grandma Grace’s pudding recipe.
You might also like our Pinterest Dessert Board for other great recipes like this basic homemade pudding recipe.
This is a great recipe for dirt pudding cups too!
Basic Vanilla Homemade Pudding
- 4 Tablespoons Corn Starch
- 1 1/2 Cups Sugar
- 4 Cups milk – (You may use regular Milk, or Canned Evaporated Milk 2Cups Evaporated + 2 Cups Water
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 3 Teaspoons Butter
How to Make Homemade Pudding:
- In a medium saucepan, add Corn Starch and Sugar over medium heat and whisk to get any lumps out.
- Add the milk and whisk until smooth.
- Cook over Medium heat, whisking for 2 minutes.
- Add the egg yolks before the mixture gets too hot.
- Continue to whisk over medium heat until the mixture thickens. Be sure to stir constantly.
- When pudding has thickened, remove from heat. Add vanilla and butter and whisk until incorporated.
- Pour pudding into pudding containers and cool on the counter, then refrigerate. The pudding will thicken more when cooled.
For Chocolate Pudding:
Add 4 Tablespoons Cocoa with the flour and sugar.
For Banana Pudding:
Add 1 teaspoon banana flavoring with vanilla and butter.
You can also add chopped bananas.
We like to layer banana pudding with homemade whipped cream or alternate pudding, graham crackers, banana slices, pudding, and whipped cream.
Bet you this is a big hit. It doesn’t take long to prepare so it’s an easy, almost spontaneous dessert.