Today’s Best Recipe is Creamy Loaded Baked Potato Soup with Bacon and Cheese.
Soup is one of my favorite meals.
This creamy loaded baked potato soup with crispy bacon and ooey gooey cheese is one of my favorite soup recipes.
This soup offers a creamy soup base, fresh potatoes, chunks of bacon, and plenty of cheese!
It’s a baked potato in soup form.
You’ll find more delicious soup inspiration on our Pinterest Soup Board.
Creamy Loaded Potato Soup Recipe
4 potatoes (hone potatoes, Yukon gold potatoes, red potatoes, Russet potatoes)
8 bacon slices
2 tablespoons bacon grease
4 Tablespoons butter
2 garlic cloves, minced
¼ cup yellow onion
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
1 cup half and half
2 cups chicken stock (I use bone broth)
1.5 teaspoons salt (more for taste)
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese (grate your own cheese)
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (+more for garnish)
1 cup sour cream
Chives for garnish*
How to Make Creamy Loaded Potato Soup:
- Poke potatoes with a fork, then microwave on high for 15 minutes. Once cool cut into bite-sized chunks.
- Cook bacon in the oven at 400 degrees for 18 minutes move to paper towels and reserve bacon grease. Once cooled, crumble into small pieces.
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium-low heat, add bacon grease, and onion and cook 2-3 minutes or until onion is tender. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds, or just until fragrant.
- Make a roux by slowly whisking in the flour.
- Slowly add milk and half and half to the roux and whisk until smooth.
- Slowly add the chicken broth. Add salt, pepper, and whisk until it slightly thickens about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in shredded cheese, bacon crumbles, and sour cream.
- Remove pot from heat. Add potatoes chunks, breaking some against the edge of the pot with a spoon, or leave them all chunky.
- Serve hot and topped with cheese, bacon, a dollop of sour cream, and chives.
*Substitute green onions for chives if you like
*Chicken broth can be substituted for vegetable broth
*Substitute bacon for precooked bacon bits.
*Try adding 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce or cayenne pepper if you like a kick
*Use Greek Yogurt in place of sour cream.
*You can substitute heavy cream for half and half.
*If you want a thicker soup, add 1/4 cup instant potato flakes to the soup.
Store in an airtight container for up to two days in the refrigerator.